Let’s be honest here – vegging out after a long day of classes sounds much more appealing than hitting the gym, sweating then having to shower and yadda yadda yadda. But if there’s one thing I’ve learned in my four years of college it’s that I need exercise. I need it for stress relief, for the sanity of myself (and therefore sanity of others) and I need it for obvious health reasons as well. Sure, there’s certainly many times where cuddling up with a magazine or going out and doing significant damage to your liver and possibly your reputation is a lot more necessary in college, but for those exceptions, I’ve found quite a few ways to fit exercise into my weekly routine between classes, friends and fun.
1) Take an exercise class with your friends. Double whammy – hanging out with friends and getting fit. It’s a lot more fun with a pal anyways, such is life. Afterwards, treat yourselves to some froyo or grab dinner as well. My Tuesday nights now consist of an ab class and Zumba with some friends and I absolutely love it.
2) Take your studying to the gym. It sucks that I have to ditch my trashy magazines for art history notes sometimes 😉 But nonetheless – I’ll bring my notes with me and read them over in between sets during lifting and whenever I do cardio, I’ll read them as well.
3) Workout early. Get it out of the way earlier in the day, that way you can shower and get on with your life with a little energy boost as well. Studies show that exercise boosts energy and motivation. Bonus: the gym is less likely to be crowded early in the morning…meaning you could go in your pj’s if you wanted and be judged by less people 😉 Picking wedgies is a lot easier when it’s less crowded too. Don’t act like you don’t get gym-induced wedgies, cause we all do.
4) Walk to class. No gym? No motivation? No problem. Just have the motivation to get yourself to class (a task in itself, especially on Monday mornings, I know) and you’re good to go.
5) Remember that your college experience is more important than exercise, so don’t always make it a priority…or, don’t ever make it a priority, rather. Do what ultimately makes you happy and live in balance.
It’s officially Spring break for me! I’m so excited – I leave for South Carolina on Saturday morning and I cannot wait. Til then I’ll be finishing up some projects and seeing some friends that are also home too. Happy days!
What are your tips for fitting in exercise?
Where’s your favorite Spring break destination?
Peace and love!
p.s. Cara says thank you for all of the compliments and you’ll be glad to know she loves her new bed…but would’ve preferred a pink king-sized bed.