True story: I have eaten the equivalent of 1/4 cup of vegetables in the past week. Although I’m not proud of my accomplishment in the least bit, I have learned to love the lug of a purse I carry around because it holds at least fifteen protein bars comfortably at a time. My friends, I was awful at living my first week back into classes. But that’s ok, it’s Friday, which makes everything ok, right?
I thought I was eating an alien when I sat down to lunch today and started munching on a salad…am I a dinosaur?! What IS this green stuff?! Also…peaches, what are peaches and WHY are they in my breakfast?
I also made the best choice in shoes to bring back to my apartment this week as well…it rained/snowed/shat from the sky all week and of course, all I had with me were my slippers and a pair of shiny gold Sperry’s which I REFUSE to wear in the rain.
My solution? Wear 2 pairs of socks and slippers. Oh, I did. They went surprisingly well with my outfits, though. But this weekend I will be traveling home to gather up some legit shoes/boots and possibly a poncho to accessorize myself…thuper duper cute.
Here are my tips for surviving an “oopsie” week:
1) Food is your friend. So is coffee. If you’re running on little-to-no sleep and you’d much rather gauge your eyes out than gorge yourself with breakfast, don’t…stuff your face and I promise you’ll be at least a bit more awake. Coffee helps too, just don’t go for the decaf…that never turns out well. Don’t be dumb and go for chamomile tea if you can’t do coffee…get something peppermint-y or spearmint-y to awaken your tastebuds, and thus your brain. Pump up some jams in your car/on your walk to class or work as well and feel free to dance and sing along, don’t worry about people who stare, they’re obviously jealous.
2) Be prepared…even if you’re not. Pack protein/meal bars in your purse (as many as you can fit) as well as to-go makeup palettes, mascara, lipgloss, a brush and a toothbrush, yes, a toothbrush (keep it in a plastic baggie.) I don’t care if I’m the first to admit that I have brushed my teeth in the sinks at the arts center at 7:42am, spit and glory. Also, always have extra cash on hand.
3) Keep a planner. This goes without explanation…whatever you forget, your planner remembers (even if you’d rather it not.)
4) Be happy. Realize that your life doesn’t suck, even if you’re having an “oopsie” week. I know I’ve said this before, but no one enjoys being around a poopy bitch. Talk to people, be friendly and smile, offer to buy the person’s coffee in line behind you – if you aren’t having a good day, you may as well make sure someone else is having a good one for you, you know? You’d be surprised how good it’ll make you feel afterwards, trust me.
5) Most importantly: make time for yourself. Carve out at least an hour or two of me-time and just chill out. Whether your definition of chilling out consists of taking a bath, blogging, reading, watching Jerry Springer (fun fact: Jerry makes me feel SO much better about my life..), eating, cooking, doing illegal things (no judgement here) or anything else for that matter, just do it. The silver lining is still there, you just have to find it. Friends are a big help too.
Hope you all are having a fantastic weekend so far!
What are some of your “oopsie” fixes?
What’s your go-to wake up drink?
Peace and love!