It’s two days after Christmas. Usually at this time, my room would look like the ending of a world war between my new dresses, scarves, necklaces and earrings. With the ocassional sprinkle of glitter and a pair of forgotten mismatched socks under my bed. Maybe an empty Starbucks cup on my nightstand if I got lucky that evening.
But not this year. I’ve taken my obsessive organization skillz I inherited from my Dad and put them to good use and decided not to wait til next weekend to put away all of my presents and such. Let me tell you – if you’re bored, this is a great way to waste time and it doesn’t involve sitting on your ass or working it off. Score!
With that note, I bring you my take on cleaning up your holiday mess. Here are a few ideas that sprung up in my cranium while I was on a mission to put together the puzzle I call my room.
1) Use your gift bags or bags you used to purchase gifts to store things! As long as they’re pretty, they’ll work.
2) Use the little decorative gift bags or boxes you might have leftover for smaller items like bracelets or earrings (shown above as well)
3) Invest in a nice jewelry box, especially if you were lucky enough to get some beautiful gems this year. Splurging is worth it ! Respect your glam, girlfriend. Otherwise, buy cheaper, but just as efficient storage boxes or pouches!
4) Frame special cards you recieved from relatives. It’s a great way to remind yourself how blessed you are to have such a sweet family.
Also, it provides a better storage method than tossing them in that drawer where everything goes, yeah, you know what drawer I’m talking about. I like to call mine the surprise drawer…everytime I open it I find things in there I forgot I had.
5) The trash. Oh, the trash. I really can’t offer any advice more for your jank than to pile it up and call it the crap corner. Because that’s what it is. Just remember to empty the crap corner when you’re done.
Hope this was helpful for those trying to figure out what to do with all the little knick knacks, gift bags/boxes and holiday shenanigans. I think after Christmas can be just as stressful as before Christmas because you have to figure out what to do with all of your new goodies! Also – just a tip – if you feel overwhelmed by the amount of stuff you’ve got, consider donating things you don’t use/wear/want anymore! Or sell them! Sharing is caring!
Oh, and those mismatched socks I was talking about? They’re on my feet right now. I only bother matching my socks 1 or 2 days out of the week. I like to think it gives my feet personality.
What do you do to organize your post-holiday mess?
I wanna know – do your socks match?
Peace and love!
p.s. Christmas re-cap here, in case you missed it 🙂