Hearty Chicken Curry Veggie Stew
Certainly there’s no better place to spend a scolding hot summer day than in the kitchen.
Ever since I’ve been home, I’ve really wanted to create more recipes, and with a whole lotta sunshine and a little bit of spice, I’ve got myself some amazing recipe inspiration.
This stew is not your average summer recipe – it’s perfect year round, filled with root veggies, arugula, protein packed chickpeas and tender chicken. Simmered in a tomato and curry broth, this stew is packed with flavor and a punch of spice.
This recipe can easily be made vegetarian as well! Just omit the chicken and sub the chicken broth for veggie broth! I promise it’ll taste just as good 😉
3 cups free-range organic chicken broth (I used Wolfgang Puck)
2 chicken breast filets, chopped
1 onion, diced
1 medium sweet potato, diced
1 can chickpeas (draned)
1 can diced tomatoes with juices (I used Del Monte Zesty)
1 handful arugula (spinach could work too)
2 tablespoons olive oil (any oil would work)
3 tsp cumin (I used Arora Creations seasoning)
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp curry powder
dash of salt + pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a small baking sheet
- Place chicken on sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until fully cooked
- Dice onion + sweet potato, set aside
- Heat a medium or large saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil
- Toss in onion and sweet potato, and sautee for about 5-10 minutes or until tender
- Add chickpeas, tomato and arugula – stir well
- Pour in chicken broth and spices – stir stir stir!
- Let simmer for 10-15 minutes
- Don’t forget about the chicken! Slice it when it’s fully cooked, and add to stew
- Simmer for about 30-40 minutes on low heat
- Stew should thicken, and your house should smell divine 😉
- Remove from saucepan and serve, or store – I’m sure this will taste EVEN BETTER when served the next day too 😀
I promised my brother and sister in law I’d make them dinner one night this week, so I’m scooping this up out of the saucepan, and storing it til tomorrow to bring 🙂
I’m also making a gluten free summer berry cobbler tomorrow morning as well – so yet another recipe to come, perhaps?
This stuff is packed with nutrients, and serves about 3-4 people. With a whopping 25g of protein per serving and a slew of vegetables, it’s something you can definitely feel good about enjoying 🙂
What’s your favorite soup/stew recipe?
Peace and love!
p.s. incase you missed it – my 4th of July + first weekend home recap here 🙂